Table of Contents
- 4M Table Top Robot - DIY Robotics STEM Toy
- MEL Science Subscription Kits
- Kiwi Co
- DIY Wall Collage Picture Art Kit
- LED Light Disco Helicopter
- Physics Science Lab Kit
- National Geographic - My First Metal Detector
- SpaceRail Marble RacerAdd Your Heading Text Here
- Fossil and Biofuel Combustion Kit
- Raspberry Personal Computer Kit
- STEM Kits with STEM Sports®
Choosing gifts for high school kids can be a difficult task. Especially educational gifts teens can interact with to make choices on which summer camps to attend, college degrees to pursue, or future careers to aspire towards.
At the high school level, teenagers are already starting to decide what courses they enjoy and what subjects they want to learn more about in the future. In this article, STEM Sports® has compiled a list of ten (10) science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) kits for your teen’s interests!
The 4M Table Top Robot introduces teenagers to key STEM concepts such as robotics, engineering, mechanics, and science. This hands-on learning kit gives high school students the opportunity to exercise and improve their STEM skills through real-world applications.
- Allows kids to implement their STEM knowledge through hands-on learning experiences.
- Kids work in the Engineering Design Process (EDP) to think through problems and creatively find solutions.
- Kids will need access to screwdrivers and batteries not included in the STEM kit to implement.
MEL Science offers STEM subscriptions for children ages 5 to 18. Depending on the age, skill level, and interest, you can pick a 12-month subscription your child will love!
- The MEL Science kits make great gifts children can engage with over the course of a year to improve their STEM skills.
- MEL Science kits touch on science, technology, engineering, and math, which gives children exposure to all areas of STEM.
- This gift requires monthly or upfront payment to cover 12 months of curricula, making this a more expensive STEM kit or STEM gift option.
Kiwi Co offers subscription STEM curricula based on interest and age. For teens ages 12 and up, there are four (4) different subscription options.
- Each Kiwi Co subscription is turnkey and easy to implement at home.
- There are a variety of different payment plan options available.
- There are no options to mix and match lessons. The STEM kits come in packages with overarching themes for the 12 months, such as engineering and science.
The DIY wall collage picture kit introduces students to STEAM learning through this hands-on activity. Children are transformed into engineers and artists as they create their own collage walls that can be hung in their rooms afterward.
- Introduces students to the idea of combining art and creativity with engineering.
- Once children have completed this lesson and have mastered the required skills, they can continue creating more collages for themselves, family members, or friends.
- Reviews of this STEM kit state that the end product does not stick to the wall well. Additional adhesive is recommended.
The flying LED light helicopter introduces children to problem-solving and critical-thinking skills using this hands-on STEM toy. Children will see how far they can fly their helicopter and continue working to increase the distance.
- Children are introduced to engineering, science, and technology skills.
- This hands-on lesson promotes increased retention of key STEM concepts.
- This product is fragile and will break if not properly cared for during and after use.
This physics electricity tool kit is a great way to keep teen-aged students engaged in engineering. It also introduces key lessons about electromagnetic induction.
- This STEM lesson comes with detailed instructions that will make implementing this kit at home easy for high school students.
- The working demonstration of the STEM concepts involved in this lesson are connected to increased engagement and retention.
- This lesson assumes children have a general understanding of electrical circuits, which many students learn at the middle school level. If your child does not have this understanding, it is recommended they do introductory lessons before engaging with this STEM toy.
My First Metal Detector is a great tool to get teenage children outside and interested in STEM. Children will learn about magnetic pull and key geology concepts by exploring the backyard and neighborhood.
- This toy is not age specific and can be used regardless of skill level.
- This lightweight metal detector is easy to travel with and can be used at home, on vacation, or during after school programs.
- This metal detector does not come with specific STEM lessons to connect with the toy. Children and parents will need to look online or come up with unique activities and goals.
The SpaceRail Marble Racer introduces key STEM skills to high school children such as kinetic energy, physics, and momentum.
- This STEM toy includes fourteen (14) levels to choose from so children can continue engaging with the toy as their skills improve.
- The marble racer allows children to exercise their creative and problem-solving skills through the engineering design process (EDP).
- Children may need adult assistance when setting up the base. There are reviews noting that this process can be difficult and is essential to successfully execute future lessons.
The Fossil and Biofuel Combustion kit is a learning program for agricultural engineering concepts. When completed with this kit, children will be knowledgeable about renewable energy technology.
- The kit teaches children key engineering and environmental lessons.
- The kit can be implemented at home or in the classroom either alone or in small groups.
- This STEM kit is complex and teaches difficult STEM concepts. Depending on the skill level of the child, they may need parent or educator assistance to complete the lesson.
- The Fossil and Biofuel Combustion kit is more expensive than other featured kits in this article. It is priced at $169.95.
The Raspberry computer kit is an easy and hassle-free way for high school students to improve their coding skills. This computer kit is small and easy to travel with, making it easy for children to continue improving their skills at home, in the classroom, or during after-school programs.
- The Raspberry Pi 400 allows children of varying skill levels to learn within the platform, allowing children to continue using the STEM toy throughout their high school education and beyond!
- Children will need a power supply, mouse, and HDMI cable to implement.
STEM Kits with STEM Sports®
If you are interested in finding STEM toys and STEM games for your children or students, read 17 STEM Games and Toys for Kids Ages 2-9, 15 STEM Projects for Middle School, and Tips for Teaching STEM to Elementary Students.